Straight outta the Indy Cafe Cookbook, this rhubarb, lime and coconut cake from Atkinsons in Lancaster makes a sweet pairing to a cheeky afternoon filter
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 55-60 minutes
For the coconut cake
- Butter 150g
- Caster sugar 170g
- Free-range eggs 3
- Plain flour 105g
- Baking powder ¾ tsp
- Desiccated coconut 100g
- Rhubarb 250g, chopped
For the lemon and lime drizzle
- Lemon 1, zest and juice
- Lime 1, zest and juice
- Water 60ml
- Caster sugar 115g
- Cream cheese topping to decorate
- Seasonal fruit to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°c / gas 4. Line a medium loaf tin with parchment paper.
- For the coconut cake: in a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and gently fold into the egg mixture with the coconut and rhubarb.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 55 minutes to an hour, or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin then turn out onto a wire rack.
- For the lemon and lime drizzle: place all of the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer until the sugar dissolves and the mixture becomes thick and syrupy. Drizzle the syrup over the cake.
- Decorate the cake with a cream cheese topping and seasonal fruits.
Find out more about Atkinsons here.